The following are key elements that should be included in your family emergency /disaster plan:
- Learn about the possible dangers in your area and become familiar with your community's disaster response plan. For more information, contact your county emergency management coordinator by email.
- Talk to your family about what to do in the event of an emergency. Pick two locations where you will meet - one right outside your home and another removed from your neighborhood to be used if you are unable to return to your residence.
- Develop a family communication plan to ensure that you will be able to stay in contact if you are separated during a disaster.
- Remember to include children, those with special needs, and pets in your planning process.
- Create emergency supply kits for your home, office, and car.
- Practice your plan!